Contractor Licensing

North Dakota Sec. of State General Web site:

Contractor Application:

Typically step 3 is Sec. of State Contractor Division or 701-328-3665 or 701-328-2900 to qualify a contractor.

A “contractor” is any person engaged in the business of construction, repair, alteration, dismantling, or demolition of bridges, highways, roads, streets, buildings, airports, dams, pipelines, and every other type of structure, project, development, or improvement coming within the definition of real or personal property, including the construction, alteration, or repair of property to be held either for sale or rental, and shall include subcontractor, public contractor, and nonresident contractor. No person may engage in the business nor act in the capacity of a contractor within this state when the cost, value, or price per job exceeds the sum of $2000 without first having a license.

The applicant must have their business name registered with the Secretary of State Registration Unit first.

A Contractor Application must be filed in the exact name that your business name will be registered in North Dakota.

The application will be require to list the applicant’s experience and qualifications as a contractor.

A certificate of insurance, in the exact name that the business is registered, indicating liability coverage as proof that the applicant has secured liability insurance. The certificate should list the North Dakota Secretary of State, 600 E Blvd. Ave. Dept 108, Bismarck, ND 58505 as certificate holder for line 8 on application.

A statement from Workforce Safety & Insurance that the contractor has secured workers’ compensation coverage or filed the proper document as typically step 2 at Workforce Safety.

The appropriate filing fee:
Class A for contracts over $250,000 per job           $300.00
Class B for contracts up to $250,000 per job         $200.00
Class C for contracts up to $120,000 per job         $150.00
Class D for contracts up to $ 50,000 per job         $50.00

In addition to a contractor’s license, you may need to obtain other licenses or permits as required by law. For example, licenses issued by the State Electrical Board, PO Box 7335, Bismarck ND 58507 (701) 328-9522, State Plumbing Board, 204 West Thayer Avenue, Bismarck ND 58501 (701) 328-9977, an Asbestos Abatement License issued by the North Dakota Department of Health, or a Transient Merchant License issued by the Attorney General.

Our service fee to deliver or file an application is typically $20 @ doc.